Stanley Black and Decker Cost Engineering Manager in New Britain, Connecticut
About the Team The Stanley Black & Decker Global Supply Management (GSM) team is our strategic sourcing organization focused on leveraging the company’s scale to achieve the best possible price with the best possible quality, service and delivery among all categories of spend. In addition, the team maintains close alignment with the businesses to support overall strategies, and drives to a best-in-class sourcing organization using Stanley Fulfillment System principles.
About the Job As a Cost Engineering Manager you will have the chance analyze and dissect many of the amazing products offered by Stanley Black & Decker. You will tear down products in order to determine the true costs of valuable components overlooked by daily users, becoming personally familiar with how some of the most exciting products in the Stanley Black & Decker portfolio are manufactured.
A Cost Engineering Manager is an integral part of SBD’s GSM organization that will be responsible for managing and implementing cost and value identifying initiatives across the SBD businesses. These individuals will work with clean sheet based cost models and other innovative tools across raw materials, engineered components and finished goods within the SBD business. With this detailed analytic work, they will work collaboratively with sourcing managers and business counterparts across multiple products to craft the most effective Supplier Engagement and Negotiation Strategy.
Key Responsibilities also include
- Cost Modeling
- Work with Commodity Managers, Engineers and Buying experts to utilize our SCBS (Supplier Cost Breakdown Sheet) to gather all elements of the supplier costs such as material, process, labor, tooling, machine data, overheads, profit, etc.
- Identify High cost Assemblies and high spend individual components/sub-assemblies through review of product/part drawings and evaluation of Costed Bill of Material
- Build and maintain cost models for purchased products and components, with emphasis on electrical and/or components and purchased products
- Build and utilize other cost modeling tools such as Linear Performance Pricing (LPP), Total Cost modeling (TCO), CBOM comparison, etc.
- Maintain databases of key inputs of electrical / mechanical components and costs used for updating models
- Build and maintain quick cost models for components/sub-assemblies
- Support Negotiations
- Engage collaboratively with sourcing managers to prepare Requests For Proposal (RFPs) for purchased components or products
- Provide insights into supplier's market dynamics by monitoring and reporting on market trends affecting sourcing leverages
- Identify gaps in sourced products/components costing and review with sourcing managers
- Craft negotiation strategies with sourcing managers and develop supporting negotiation decks
- Build Cost Modeling Capability
- Utilize and build cost element database to assist with Clean Sheet and should cost modeling
- Develop methodologies and tools in support of GSMs Clean Sheet program
- Leverage cost modeling tools such as Linear Performance Pricing (LPP), Total Cost modeling (TCO), etc. in negotiations and help build best practices
- Continuously enhance how all cost models are applied to raw materials, purchased components and purchased products
- Training Capability on Cost Modeling and other Core Modules
- Train and educate relevant SBD associates in clean sheet methodology and negotiations, with emphasis on building technical knowledge relevant to clean sheeting
- Help develop new training modules that will be delivered to GSM team and others
- Support Design To Value(DTV) and Value Analysis, Value Engineering (VAVE)
- Support Product Tear-Down Sessions with cross functional teams
- Organize with sourcing team Supplier Participation as required
- Develop the cost models on key components in product tear down prior to and during events
- Present results and provide opportunities to DTV/VAVE teams
- Participate and eventually be able to run VAVE’s as a part of core competence
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other related technical field, preferably with a focus preferably in Manufacturing / Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years engineering experience preferably focusing on the manufacturing and/or design of mechanical products (particularly with Design For Manufacturability focus)
- Experience working in the Global Supply Management Environment
- Lean and quality experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding a various manufacturing operations and techniques such as machining, injection molding, die casting, forging, assembly and stamping
- Experience in product tear downs and/or VAVE’s
- Experience with Lean manufacturing and effects of manufacturing costs that are driven by product design
- Program/Project Management Capability. Ability to drive and implement medium to larger scale projects
- Ability to work with multiple sources of data and assumptions, generate effective scenario and sensitivity analysis to test and refine estimates
- Understanding of Market Knowledge - Adept at understanding and communicating market dynamics of SBD suppliers
- Ability to challenge the status quo costing and work with sourcing team to bridge gaps and search for opportunities
- Ability to leverage existing manufacturing facilities, service based cost structures and other outside facilities and Consultants portfolio to establish cost builds
- Strong Financial Acumen
- Strong Negotiation abilities, both internal and external
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Excel (macro, pivots, etc) and Microsoft Access
- Experience in CAD and PLM (Product Lifecycle Management software)
Why Stanley Black & Decker
Stanley Black and Decker (SBD) employees are given the opportunity to:
- Work collaboratively and across functions with the highest caliber talent - SBD is committed to hiring and developing great people who have a passion for excellence and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Utilize cutting-edge technology and processes- creating the next generation of products and services that will impact the world for generations to come
- Foster growth and professional development capabilities - Because we are a large, global organization with many disciplines and locations, you'll have the opportunity to explore different roles. Plus, our continued growth constantly creates new advancement opportunities
- Be recognized & rewarded - We value our employees, recognize their talent, encourage their growth and reward contributions. At Stanley Black and Decker, we welcome talented and competitive people, and reward them with outstanding career development, personal growth and leadership opportunities. Join the winning team at a company whose reputation speaks for it.
Stanley Black & Decker provides their employees with a great work environment, a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, life, disability, 401k, ESPP, vacation, paid holidays, and more! Only those candidates who are currently eligible to work in the US will be considered for the opportunity.
Stanley Black & Decker is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
Requisition Number: 47305BR
Title: Cost Engineering Manager
Business: US - Global GSM
State / Country / Province: Connecticut
City: New Britain
No. of Positions: 1
EEO Statement: All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic.