AbbVie Associate Director, Clinical Biomarkers and Companion Diagnostics (CDx) in South San Francisco, California
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie’s South San Francisco, CA location.
We are seeking a creative and highly motivated scientist to develop and implement biomarker and diagnostic strategies to enable and support the development and commercialization of medically-differentiated therapies in oncology. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a highly collaborative environment and will participate as a member of multidisciplinary development project teams.
- Lead the development and implementation of biomarker and diagnostic strategies for individual projects and/or therapeutic areas
- Direct the development, outsourcing and validation of clinically applicable biomarker assays (including pharmacodynamic, predictive, prognostic, safety and other biomarkers)
- Direct the co-development, outsourcing and validation of Companion Diagnostics
- Design, implement and oversee biomarker and diagnostic testing and data analysis
- Provide expertise to development project teams to ensure access to state of the art thinking on appropriate biomarker and diagnostic technologies, evaluating their scientific basis and clinical applicability, the validation status and any technical or statistical issues related to the proposed biomarkers and/or companion diagnostics
* Highly experienced biomedical scientist (PhD or MD/PhD) with a minimum of 8 years of post-doctoral and relevant academic and/or industry research experience with expertise in oncology biomarker and companion diagnostic development * Demonstrated excellence in independently leading and conducting research and ability to evaluate, interpret and present complex scientific data * In depth experience with the discovery, characterization, clinical validation and utilization of innovative biomarkers and companion diagnostics: o Direct experience in development, outsourcing and validation of clinically applicable biomarker assays is required o Experience with the development of ADC therapies is highly preferred o Experience with ELISA, FACS, gene expression microarrays, qRT-PCR, comparative genomic hybridization, and reverse phase protein arrays would be desirable * Experience in human translational research with biomarker application in clinical trials and awareness of the challenges of implementing biomarker and diagnostic technologies in the clinical setting * Excellent leadership skills including motivation and delegation * Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English * High level of initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-California-South San Francisco
Organization: Research & Development
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Req ID: 1703824
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled