Marriott General Manager Aloft Providence in Annex, Rhode Island
Job Number 21030766
Job Category Property Leadership
Location Aloft Providence, One Marriott Drive, Annex, Rhode Island, United States VIEW ON MAP (https://www.google.com/maps?q=Aloft+Providence%2COne+Marriott+Drive%2CAnnex%2CRhode+Island%2CUS)
Brand Aloft Hotels
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
At Aloft Hotels we’re wired for next generation travelers who love open spaces, open thinking, and open expression. Aloft provides a space where style is necessary, social scenes are vibrant, and where the only direction is forward. Our guests are tech savvy and confidently social, with an eclectic style they’re not afraid to show. We understand what our guests need, so we provide an affordable option for the tech-savvy design guru. We’re looking for innovative self-expressers who aren’t afraid to draw outside the lines. If you are someone who appreciates tech-forward features and vibrant social scenes, then we invite you to explore a career with Aloft Hotels.
Functions as the primary strategic business leader of the MSB property with responsibility for all aspects of the operation, including guest and employee satisfaction, human resources, financial performance, sales and revenue generation and delivering a return on investment. Verifies the implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives with the objective of meeting or exceeding guest expectations, increasing profit and market share. Leads the team in the development and implementation of property-wide strategies. The position ensures Marriott International sales engines are leveraged and initiates independent and proactive sales activities, when appropriate, to generate demand. Strives to align the objectives and goals of Marriott and property owners to achieve brand positioning and success. Builds owner loyalty through proactive communication, setting and managing expectations and delivering solid business results. The GM is actively involved in the local community and builds strong relationships with local officials, businesses, and customers.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 6 years’ experience in guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or a related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years’ experience in guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or a related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Business Strategy Development and Execution
• Stays current with industry trends and monitors strengths and weakness of competition.
• Develops and executes business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share.
• Verifies that property business plans are aligned with Marriott brand business strategies.
• Translates Marriott global strategic plan into one that can be executed on property.
• Experiments with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability.
Managing Property Operations and Department Budgets
• Verifies that service programs are in place and executed against (e.g., Refreshing Business, Service Snapshots, Service So Memorable, etc.).
• Provides timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly employees on service and operational standards; including feedback on even the smallest of service and operational details.
• Manages the flow of labor between departments to support effective management of Labor Budget and achievement of profitability goals.
• Creates and supports clear lines of responsibility for management team, including coverage and oversight throughout the day.
• Prepares for QA audits (i.e., daily and pre-visit activities).
• Reviews and follows up on property guest satisfaction scores and comments.
• Acts as a project manager for the execution of capital improvements (e.g., renovations, reinventions, refreshes, signage, etc.).
• Walks the property to ensure public spaces, grounds, work and kitchen areas meet sanitation and cleanliness/maintenance standards.
• Manages the implementation of major brand standards (e.g., HSIA, the Market, TPS A.M. Eats).
• Delegates responsibilities for operations and projects to appropriate level of employee.
• Provides coaching on operations and troubleshooting of Micros and other technology components within property common areas.
Managing and Sustaining Sales and Marketing Strategy
• Works with the Regional Sales office (RSO) to implement sales strategy for the property (e.g., goal setting, setting rates, etc.).
• Works with sales team to establish property sales strategy, goals, and action plans.
• Identifies and champions creative marketing solutions that fit the brand and property needs.
• Participates in the property sales review (PSR).
• Manages relationships with decision makers at top accounts.
• Develops innovative means for capturing new streams of revenue through property amenities.
• Interacts with in-house guests to prospect for new sources of business.
• Verifies that direct sales staff fully utilizes e-tools (e.g., e-proposals, e-mail signatures), as appropriate.
• Identifies key revenue generating stakeholders and customers and communicate information to sales offices.
• Coaches and reinforces employee selling strategies that take advantage of property amenities.
• Verifies that all national and regional marketing programs (e.g., HSIA, etc.) are pulled through to relevant departments.
• Participates in and hosts customer recognition events to drive sales.
• Understands and leverages sales and marketing advantages over competitor properties within market.
• Monitors sales strategy with RSO to ensure ongoing effectiveness and compliance.
• Manages on-property controllable costs associated with rooms, housekeeping, events, and food and beverage operations.
• Measures, analyzes, and communicates property performance using a variety of financial/nonfinancial data including controllable costs, sales revenue, guest satisfaction, and employee engagement data.
• Updates and communicates profit forecasts to employees.
• Initiates action to support property revenue and profitability goals.
• Understands how food and beverage product variability can affect profitability.
• Reviews and signs off on invoices.
• Reviews Property Distribution Summary (OnDemand) and Purchase Detail Reports; identify, research, and resolve balance issues.
• Consolidates reports needed for period-end review (e.g., P&L, Accounting Scorecard, Banking Report and Statistics, PACE, credit card fraud report).
• Reviews property performance on period basis with Area Director.
• Verifies compliance with Avendra.
Maintaining Revenue Management Goals
• Manages the relationship with the revenue management office (e.g., participate in routine calls, strategy meetings, periodic update meetings, etc.).
• Reviews and works with appropriate revenue management reports (e.g., Demand Eye Chart, Benchmark Pricing Evaluator, Rate/Value Matrix, Smith Travel Research (STR) reports, etc.).
• Balances inventory to ensure same-day sellouts.
Managing Relationships with Property Stakeholders (e.g., Owner and Above Property)
• Keeps brand leadership team, owners, and above property stakeholders updated on property performance in the areas of financials, guest satisfaction, and employee engagement.
• Prepares and presents reports for owners and above property leadership using financial/performance data to show how the Refreshing Business model is affecting property performance.
• Conducts property critique.
• Conducts annual business reviews.
• Participates in ad hoc owner conference calls and responds appropriately to owner requests.
• Responds to above property (e.g., regional and owner) requests for sales information (e.g., Market Outlook, STR Report critique, etc.).
Managing and Conducting Human Resource activities
• Leads employees through property changes, and helps them transition into new property roles.
• Understands the performance expectations for all positions within the property (e.g. front desk employee, gourmet attendant, etc).
• Completes management training (e.g., ConnectU, GM conferences, HR Skills, etc.).
• Facilitates cross training to support employee professional growth and operational excellence.
• Ensures ongoing development of managers (e.g., one on one coaching, providing stretch assignments, etc.).
• Conducts performance review process for direct reports (including LPP, career plan form, development plans, employee information form, mid-year check-ins, 90-day check ins for new employees, etc.).
• Creates succession plans for future job openings.
• Manages e-mail.
• Manages daily paper mail.
• Participates in conference calls (e.g., sales, promotion, Q&A, property performance, etc.).
• Provides follow-up information to Area Director and other MSB managers.
• Prepares for Area Director visits (e.g., pulling and consolidating relevant reports).
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
- Marriott Jobs