United States Steel Melt Shop Shift Mechanic, BRS in Arkansas
12227BRJob Description:U. S. Steel is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace culture and celebrate the diversity of our employees.
**Digital assessment test is required to be completed within 14 days of submitting application.
Objective of the Job:
This is an industrial maintenance position responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting a wide range of equipment in the Melt Shop area of the Big River Steel facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Ensure Safety, Environmental, Quality requirements and “where applicable” ResponsibleSteel requirements are followed.
2) Ensure good housekeeping practices are carried out in job areas and grounds
3) Inspect and examine machinery and equipment to detect and find irregularities and malfunctions
4) Troubleshoot, perform preventative maintenance, and repair complex mechanical equipment
5) Install and/or modify mechanical equipment following proper codes, manuals, schematic diagrams, and other specifications
6) Assist operational personnel as needed for operational tasks that are needed to successfully support production
7) Ensure proficiency by using precision measuring devices (feeler gages, dial indicators, calipers…)
8) Work collectively with contractors
9) Assist maintenance teams in need, in other departments across the mill, when circumstances arise
10) Work directly with all electrical and operations personnel in a fast paced environment to help develop a safety focused and productive team
11) Support maintenance teammates to help maintain a positive and efficient work environment focused on safety and reliability
1) Ability to use mechanical ingenuity and make decisions in a fast-paced production environment in a safe and efficient manner
2) Adaptability to accept changes in job duties and eagerness to learn and apply new knowledge
3) Reliable team player with good communication skills
4) Highly motivated, self-directed, and willing to put in extra hours when needed
5) Demonstrated proficiency using precision measuring instruments
6) Working knowledge of industrial hydraulics and power transmission systems
7) Experience in reading mechanical blueprints, as well as hydraulic and pneumatic schematics
8) Ability to weld (stick, mig and tig -preferred), use cutting torches and the use of overhead cranes is a plus
9) Knowledgeable and efficient in the use of the proper rigging equipment, includes critical lifts
10) Experienced with mobile equipment (Rough Terrain, Man Lift, Forklift, Carry Deck or Broaderson)
11) Basic computer skills required; use of Microsoft Office is a plus
12) Efficient in the Metric Measuring System is a plus
13) High School diploma or equivalent
14) Technical certificate in Steel or Industrial Technology or closely related field is a plus
15) Minimum 2 years of work experience as an industrial mechanic
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
Environment is typical for a steel mill production area, with extreme temperatures, high noise levels, and dusty/greasy areas. Physically demanding work will be required in the production environment. Typical work hours are 12-hour shifts, which rotate days and nights. This results in working some weekends/holidays and overtime.
This position does not supervise others.Auto req ID:12227BRCompany:Exploratory Ventures, LLC Posting Title:Melt Shop Shift Mechanic, BRSState/Province:Arkansas Company Overview:
U. S. Steel is a leading steel producer founded in 1901. Today, we’re a greener company with an infinitely recyclable product, the world’s only LEED-certified steel mill, and an ambitious plan to reduce emissions. We make products that make everyday life possible - automotive, construction, appliance, energy, container, and packaging industries all benefit from our innovation.
We show pride in our communities with company-sponsored employee volunteer programs, corporate contributions, partnerships in support of education, scholarships for our next generation of leaders, and many other programs.
We are continually recognized for our commitment to our employees, most recently as a Most Loved Workplace (Newsweek 2021- 2022), a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality (Human Rights Campaign Foundation 2020-2022), a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion (Disability Equality Index 2021-2022), and World's Most Ethical Companies (2023). It’s easy to see why U. S. Steel employees take Pride in Our Past as we Build the Future, United by Steel.
Conducting business with integrity and with the highest ethical values has underpinned U. S. Steel’s success for over 100 years, and it remains critical to our company’s success in the future. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status. (California residents may visit www.ussteel.com/CANotice regarding collection of personal information and U. S. Steel's privacy practices.)
At U. S. Steel all employees are expected to display the following core competencies every day to advance corporate, team and individual goals:
Think: Think Critically and Drive Change
Lead: Develop Talent and Collaborate
Do: Empower Performance and Deliver Results