Marriott Assistant Manager, Accounting in Bethesda, Maryland
Job Number 21000814
Job Category Finance & Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
This position is part of a team responsible for the accurate internal and external financial reporting of Marriott’s legal entities. The team is responsible for financial statement preparation, facilitation of timely statutory reporting and overall support of statutory audits for various entities.
The major responsibilities of this position include financial statement preparation for subsidiary financial statements on a local and US GAAP basis of accounting, preparation of audit schedules and ongoing review and analysis of the financial activity within each of the assigned entities. The Assistant Manager works with independence, but within established guidelines, to produce and analyze financial information as well as legal contracts to support the accounting for assigned entities. In addition, he/she will serve as a contact for entity questions/issues for stakeholders across the organization.
SCOPE/BUSINESS CONTEXT/EXPECTED CONTRIBUTIONS
· Assist with and support annual statutory audit processes including preparation of supporting schedules and documentation. Ensure that audits occur in a timely and efficient manner, in conjunction with local financial statement filing requirements.
· Prepare assigned entity financial statements and supporting schedules to support the financial statement reporting, tax and audit processes.
· Assist in the analysis and reconciliation of financial activity recorded to the general ledger in a timely manner to facilitate monthly and quarterly financial reporting for assigned entities.
· Participate in the monthly and quarterly corporate financial close procedures and participate in the preparation of internal financial reporting deliverables.
· Understand and document significant transactions to support internal financial reporting and tax filings.
· Record audit adjustments to the general ledger in a timely manner.
· Reconcile subsidiary ledger balances to audited & non-audited local financial statements.
· Work with stakeholders with respect to technical accounting issues in both local and US GAAP, ensuring that transactions are accounted for appropriately.
· Review trial balances and perform analytics for legal entities on a periodic basis and identify/resolve any errors or irregularities.
· Provide support and information to the third-party service providers who prepare the applicable local country VAT returns.
· Participate in the preparation of materials presented at the quarterly Board of Manager meetings.
· Document current processes and participate in process improvement initiatives.
· Participate in GEAR and department-wide projects, as assigned.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Minimum 3-4 years of progressive accounting experience to include financial statement preparation and account analysis
· Experience with accounting in a multi-currency environment under multiple bases of accounting preferred
· Experience with PeopleSoft general ledger system preferred
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel (e.g. macros & pivot tables)
Education or Certification
· BS/BA in Accounting or Finance
· CPA or MBA preferred
Attributes, Knowledge and Skills
· Demonstrates an independent ability to research and analyze transactions and balances within a complex accounting system structure and in a multi-currency environment.
· Strong business process skills, ensuring compliance with existing processes and producing quality results.
· High proficiency with PC based software (Microsoft Office); use of macros and pivot tables in Excel.
· Able to develop and maintain effective business relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
· Ensures all work is completed on time with a high attention to detail.
· Demonstrates strong organizational and prioritization skills; high performance levels under tight deadlines.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills; ability to articulate issues to a variety of individuals at multiple levels within the organization.
· Ability to manage multiple work activities concurrently with minimal supervision.
· At ease in an environment of change; supports and manages change within the organization.
· Displays commitment towards collaborating in a results-oriented team setting.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
- Marriott Jobs