Lockheed Martin Research Engineering Senior Manager in Bethesda, Maryland
Description: The Senior Manager for Research and Technology leads expert research project/program managers and Lockheed Martin’s most critical enterprise portfolios in the Research and Technology organization under the office of the Vice President and Chief Technology Officer in Corporate. The Research and Technology team works in a “Team of Teams” manner with leaders across the enterprise, customers, and partners/suppliers.
The Research and Technology senior manager partners with colleagues in the business areas to manage Research and Development portfolios which identify and develop generation-after next technologies critical to the future success of the corporation. You will play a vital role in defining our future by driving innovative solutions for our customers. The charter is to work collaboratively
across the enterprise to support developing discriminating, high impact technologies needed to enable Lockheed Martin’s 21st Century Warfare capabilities and enable our business area to win new programs or advance existing business. The senior manager leads expert, high level research experts responsible for facilitating
project/program definition, guidance, and management (cost, schedule, technical execution, transition planning and facilitation). Position may be located at any major Lockheed Martin site.
Demonstrated experience and successful track record in research project and program management, to include: cost/schedule/performance metrics and tracking and technology road mapping, required.
• Experience managing diverse technical teams.
• Demonstrated history of collaboration and working with US based and International customers and suppliers, to include US
Government sponsoring agencies, academia, national labs or institutes, and commercial partners.
• Demonstrated success in leading technical and functional professionals, across disciplines, to develop effective solutions.
• Demonstrated success in developing research programs including Research Agreement Terms and Conditions.
• Experience in coordination across multiple lines of business and multi-functional organizations for internally funded research and development (IRAD) investments.
• Experience planning technical efforts, including schedules, metrics budgets and earned value management.
• Experience with projects that include development, implementation, integration, and testing.
• Customer knowledge and proven technology transition experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to thrive in a virtual, matrixed organization.
• Active Secret clearance.
MUST BE LOCATED AT A LM SITE WITH SECURE
COMMUNICATIONS (NOT VIRTUAL)
Demonstrated success energizing teams, openly collaborating, and enabling their best performance.
• Capable of representing Lockheed Martin with professionalism in external settings with senior executives from US & International
industry, academia, and governments.
• Member of a high-performing virtual team and self-motivated with a strong work ethic, time-management, and interpersonal skills.
• Experience with developing and maintaining strategic multi-year plans.
• Demonstrated effective communication skills as the position will require frequent interactions with technical and executive leaders across the enterprise.
• Ability to travel in the US and Internationally for broad business area facilitation and team interaction required and should be
expected at approximately 25% of the time.
• Recognized leader in the field.
• Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and lead teams to incorporate.
• Minimum 14 years relevant professional experience including at least 3 years managing direct reports.
• Technical experience in 2 or more of the 21st Century technology domains: Spectrum Dominance, Autonomy and MUM-T, Joint All
Domain Operations, Resilient and Responsive Space, Cyber/Electronic Warfare, Advanced Comms/5G, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Edge Computing, Hypersonics/Advanced Weapons, Directed Energy, Quantum Information Sciences or Synthetic Biology. LM experience in manufacturing and structures technology strongly preferred
• Strong and broad technical background in Lockheed Martin with cross-BA technologies and products.
• Experience converting strategy into prioritized R&D products and deliverables combined with the development of a business case investment strategy.
• Familiar with Stage Gate/R&D management processes.
• Advanced degree in a technical field.
• Experience working cross-business projects.
• Working knowledge of Joint All Domain Operations (JADO) mission objects and DoD implementation.
• Systems engineering and requirements development experience.
• Demonstrated career progression in roles of increasing responsibilities.
• Ability to obtain an advanced clearance – Top Secret, SCI.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
- Lockheed Martin Jobs