Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Ball Metalpack - Supervisor, Plant Engineering in Columbus, Ohio
Who We Are:
Ball Metalpack is a new joint venture between Platinum Equity and Ball Corporation. We are excited about the opportunities ahead as we leverage our expertise to create value and a sense of ownership.
Ball Metalpack produces 100 percent recyclable tinplate food and aerosol containers. As part of Ball Corporation, we’ve been industry leaders for years. Now we are standing up a new company with exciting new roles and responsibilities – including this one!
Metal food packaging has set the standard for freshness and preservation for well over a century, and we continue to push boundaries and develop innovations. What excites us most is the sustainability advantages that metal packaging delivers to our customers and to families. It is one of the most environmentally friendly and economical forms of packaging.
Since the aerosol can revolutionized consumer products in the 1940s, Ball has refined and improved the technology to suit todays needs. We recently breathed new air into aerosol technology with the introduction of our next generation of tinplate aerosol packaging, which is helping us meet and exceed our customers’ growing expectations.
With the help of our 1,300 talented employees, Ball Metalpack will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value.
Ball Metalpack is a Lean Manufacturing System environment.
- Broad experience in the technical field usually acquired through working in engineering.
- College degree preferred.
- Job related experience for 2 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas:
- Generally accepted supervisory practices and procedures.
- Product specifications and technology of equipment.
- Solid state circuitry, electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical-mechanical devices, and PLC programming.
- Ability to negotiate with contractors for facilities/building maintenance.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data in order to make recommendations.
- Requires working with or near energized 480 VAC circuits.
- Works in both office and manufacturing environments.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure work environment. This includes correcting unsafe acts/conditions, facilitating monthly safety meetings, performing monthly safety inspections, and investigating accidents, as required.
- Supports development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the food safety system.
- Supervises and coordinates the employees and activities of the plant maintenance function as directed.
- Arranges for maintenance of adequate level of supplies, materials, and parts so that there will be no interruption in operations due to shortages.
- Provides and maintains required environmental reporting to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal agencies.
- Resolves technical problems encountered related to area of responsibility.
- Provides and plans technical training.
- Arranges for all equipment in area to be properly maintained and upgraded as needed.
- Provides daily logs including daily scheduled and nonscheduled worksheets and equipment PMs.
- Oversees the installation and maintenance of high-speed, industrial process equipment for can and/or end making, power, lighting, control, and logic circuits for production processes and support equipment.
- Oversees the installation and maintenance of gas mixers, burners, air compressors, plant air circulation systems, cooling and heating units, and plant lighting.
- May troubleshoot, adjust, and repair all electrical equipment, solid state circuits, components, logic boards, transducers, amplifiers, and complex timing and inspection devices.
- May oversee preventative maintenance on assigned electrical systems.
- Identifies inefficiencies and potential electrical problems and coordinates with subordinates to resolve.
- May program logic controls for proper equipment operations.
- Receives instructions, prints, and work orders. Makes drawings or sketches of parts to be made or repaired.
- Interprets drawings, calculates, and determines indices, tapers, and other dimensions to be used for parts.
- May select and grind tools, adjusting tools, speeds, and feed rates for efficient machining, assuring that machined parts meet precise requirements for both tolerance and finish.
- May set up and operate machine tools, lathes, and grinders.
- Repairs and maintains production machinery as directed.
- May direct communication with group engineering to ensure that any new developments affecting plant engineering are quickly and accurately transmitted and that any approved or standardized methods are established.
- May provide vacation coverage for machinists.
- Coordinates all projects relating to machining, die maintenance, machine repair, and overhauls.
- Responsible for the overall maintenance of buildings and grounds.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually five days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday), working hours may vary as specified by management incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Performs those administrative activities necessary for effective management, including provision for selection and development of employees, salary administration, budget administration, employee safety, employee counseling, motivation, meeting objectives, planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed within the organization.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available.
Ball Metalpack offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Ball Metalpack - Supervisor, Plant Engineering
Job ID: 664434
Location: OH - Columbus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time