Marriott Stewarding Manager in Newport Beach, California
Job Number 23096022
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location VEA Newport Beach A Marriott Resort & Spa, 900 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach, California, United States
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
Supervises the daily kitchen utility operations and staff. Responsibile for dish room operations, night cleaning, back dock cleaning and maintenance, banquet plating and food running. Supervises kitchen employees not actively engaged in cooking (e.g., dishwashers, kitchen helpers, etc.). Strives to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the procurement, food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in the procurement, food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Day-to-Day Operations
• Orders necessary supplies and verifies workers have supplies, equipment, tools, and uniforms necessary to do their jobs.
• Schedules events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
• Monitors the inflow of ordered materials and the maintenance of current materials.
• Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
• Supervises dishroom shift operations.
• Performs all duties of utility employees as necessary.
• Maintains all equipment, china, glass and silver and verifies adequate cleaning of each.
• Coordinates banquet plating and food running with Banquet Chef and Banquet Maitre'd.
• Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
• Trains staff in proper breakdown procedures for banquets, restaurants, room service and employee cafeteria.
• Conducts china, glass and silver inventories.
• Purchases appropriate supplies and manage inventories according to budget.
• Interacts with vendors and Health Department representatives as required.
• Verifies employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
• Comprehends budgets, operating statements and payroll progress reports as needed to assist in the financial management of department.
• Participates in the scheduleing of employees to business demands and for tracks employee time and attendance.
• Assists in payroll administration.
• Verifies compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
• Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas in order to verify efficient service and conformance to standards.
• Maintains inventories of food, equipment, smallware, and liquor, and report shortages to designated personnel.
Leading Kitchen Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Supervises employees and all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Monitors employee productivity.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Participates in activities to achieve and exceed performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Conducts regular on-going communication with employees to create awareness of business objectives and communicate expectations, recognizes performance and produces desired results.
• Participates in the supervises of department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Understands the impact of departments operation on the overall property financial goals and objectives.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Attends meetings and communicates with executives, peers, and subordinates as an effort to improve quality of service.
• Spervises day-to-day operations, verifies the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Participates in recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and promoting employees in the organization.
• Assists as needed in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members with appropriate skills.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, providing feedback as needed.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Participates in employee progress discipline procedures.
The hourly pay range for this position is $24.65 to $42.73 and offers health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, accrued paid time off (including sick leave where applicable), life insurance, disability coverage, other life and work wellness benefits and may include incentive compensation. Benefits and incentive compensation may be subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, contribution, and other requirements and conditions.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law. Marriott International considers for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
Marriott Hotels , Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you’re happy, our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you’ll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
- Marriott Jobs