Marriott Senior Assistant Director of Finance and Accounting in Raleigh, North Carolina
Additional Information Remote working available
Job Number 23011022
Job Category Finance & Accounting
Location Renaissance Washington DC Downtown Hotel, 999 Ninth Street NW, Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Located Remotely? Y
Position Type Management
Manages the day-to-day operation of the accounting office and assists the property Director of Finance and Accounting in providing financial leadership to the business. Primary responsibilities include financial analysis and financial reporting, budgeting/forecasting, audit and control, asset and liability reconciliation, working capital and cash control. Assists with capital expenditure plans (Return On Investment Analysis), owner relations and owner reporting.
Education and Experience
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; no work experience required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Accounting Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the management team and to lead own team.
• Creates a working environment that enables the retention of top talent and where individuals perform at their best.
• Encourages open dialogue between team members.
• Assigns team members and other department managers clear accountability to accomplish goals.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals
• Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
• Ensures profits and losses are documented accurately.
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
• Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
• Compiles, codes, categorizes, calculates, tabulates, audits, or verifies information or data.
• Maintains a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability and manage business risks.
• Generates and reviews financial reports that are linked to the plan’s financial goals.
Managing Projects and Policies
• Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Ensures that the P&L is accurate (i.e., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts) and statements are delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner.
• Reconciles balance sheet and ensures account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs.
• Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes and ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Produces accurate and timely financial reports to support effective decision making.
• Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
• Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current and proper amounts are collected and/or accrued.
• Documents tax exempt transactions.
Demonstrating and Applying Accounting Knowledge
• Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
• Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
• Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
• Keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
• Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities.
Proving Financial Information and Guidance to Others
• Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
• Provides on going analytical support (e.g., monitoring the operating department’s actual and projected sales and profit and coaches management team to ensure financial goals are met and opportunities are identified and addressed).
• Orients property managers to the accounting function and coaches to effectively manage their departments financial performance.
• Provides meaning or context to the financial results.
• Advises the Director of Finance on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
• Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Ensures new hires participate in the department’s orientation program.
• Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
• Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
• Attends critique meetings to review information with management team.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law. Marriott International considers for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
You were always one of those curious kids who opened every cabinet, peeked behind every door, and never ceased to ask "why" when given an explanation. Today, you bring your personal style to every experience. You live life to discover. You are passionate about your neighborhood, always looking to explore the places one wouldn’t find in a travel guide. If this sounds like you, you’re in the right place. You’ve got authentic style, natural curiosity and a warm way with people. Renaissance is not just a place to spend the night, it's a place to discover, a place in the world with style like yours. That’s why we’re not just looking for anyone. We’re looking for someone like you.
- Marriott Jobs