Sherwin-Williams Plant Chemist in States, United States
Title: Plant Chemist
Location: United States-Kentucky-RICHMOND
Job Number: 210008T7
WELCOME TO SHERWIN-WILLIAMS
Here, we believe there’s not one path to success, we believe in careers that grow with you. Whoever you are or wherever you come from in the world, there’s a place for you at Sherwin Williams. We provide you with the opportunity to explore your curiosity and drive us forward. We’ll give you the space to share your strengths and we want you to show us what you can do. You can innovate, grow and discover in a place where you can thrive and Let Your Colors Show! Sherwin-Williams values the unique talents and abilities from all backgrounds and characteristics. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, including individuals with disabilities and Protected Veterans.
Serves as a liaison between the production facility and the R&D organization. Position is based on site at the production facility but is managed by the R&D group. Responsibilities may include making batch adjustments, investigating customer complaints, monitoring pilot and scale up batches, updating formulas for first run capability, and working with plant engineers to optimize batch processing.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
• Calculates raw material additions for in-process production batches needing adjustment.
• Independently investigates and resolves issues with in-process production batches.
• Independently investigates and resolves customer complaints; determines disposition for complaint material.
• Partners with Technical and Engineering teams to optimize and monitor the production process for pilot and scale up batches of new formulations.
• Monitors the production process and proposes improvements for processing of existing formulas as needed.
• Monitors the Quality Control history of existing products and partners with appropriate laboratory to implement formula updates as needed
• Maintains color standards for all product lines.
• Conducts Management of Change reviews for raw materials that are new to the production facility.
• Determines disposition and usage potential for various finished goods.
• Leads and implements Technical continuous improvement initiatives at the manufacturing facility.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Travel Up to 10%
• Must have a Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math field.
• Must have 3 Years of chemist experience in coatings
• Must be legally authorized to work in the country for which you are applying for employment (without now or in the future needing sponsorship for employment work visa and/or permanent residence status).
• Applying intermediate professional chemistry principles and practices.
• Operating a variety of laboratory equipment.
• Performing several professional formulating tasks.
• Applying fundamental application methods and procedures.
• Interpreting and applying department policies and procedures and applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
• Communicating technical information.
• Solving problems and recommending solutions independently.
• Prioritizing daily project tasks.
• Applying a strong knowledge of the paint manufacturing process.
• PC skills; Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Minitab, and other applicable applications.
• Communicating with co-workers to provide and receive direction.
• Strong understanding of Automotive coating technology.
• Strong understanding of Lean Six Sigma methodology for design and manufacturing environments.
Degree in Chemistry, Polymers or Coatings
5 Years of chemist experience in coatings
Experience working in a coatings production environment
Ability to operate high speed dispersion equipment and media mills
Green belt certification
Who we are
At Sherwin-Williams, we're proud of the company we keep — our family of loyal employees. To learn about our company and our culture go to Sherwin.com/careers.
Sherwin-Williams is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, marital status or any other consideration prohibited by law or by contract.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Sherwin-Williams requests state and local employment services delivery systems to provide priority referral of Protected Veterans.