Lockheed Martin Guidance Navigation and Control Engineer in Sunnyvale, California
Description: The The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
The GN&C Common Controls group provides design solutions for several spacecraft and missile programs by developing FPGA based control algorithms for flight control system hardware. One of these programs is the Next Generation Interceptor (NGI). Defending against modern day missile threats requires constant collaboration and innovation. That’s why we’re able to integrate systems from end to end so you can detect, control and engage the full spectrum of missile threats across every domain. It’s why we’re investing in disruptive technology like directed energy, space-based capabilities and solid state-radar. To create layers of defense that help keep us all safe.
So what does it take to spot an enemy missile launch, identify its intended target, calculate its exact trajectory, launch an interceptor and guide it to destroy the threat in mid-air? All in a matter of seconds? It’s not easy – but at Lockheed Martin, we help customers solve the world’s most complex challenges. Our culture supports employees to dream big, perform with perfection and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
As a Guidance, Navigation & Control (GN&C) engineer you will assist with development activities within our Space and Missiles programs. You will be responsible for simulation development and checkout of the algorithms followed up with lab test of real hardware for validation of models and algorithms. Also, you will conduct performance related analysis to validate requirements, document and present your analysis results. For this specific role, the group is focused on developing low-level inner loop controllers for NGI that will reside on FPGAs (like TVC controllers, gimbal controllers, etc). Those algorithms are developed in CoreSim in Simulink and autocoded into HDL code to reside on the FPGA. In the future, you can also support other missile or spacecraft programs within this organization, not only supporting the controls design and analysis activities but also providing hands-on testing support in the lab.
This early career position typically requires 2 years of professional experience.
This position requires obtaining and maintaining an active DoD secret clearance.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
- Paid time off
- Work/life balance
- Career development
- Mentorship opportunities
- Rewards & recognition
You can learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package by visiting this link. (https://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/working-here#benefits)
• BS or MS degree in Engineering or Physics with knowledge of GN&C control theory and physical modeling related to spacecraft and/or missile systems
• MATLAB experience and SIMULINK familiarity
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Self-motivated learner
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative team environment
• Ability to obtain and maintain DoD secret clearance
• Understanding a program life cycle encompassing requirements generation, design, analysis, integration, verification, and testing of the GN&C subsystem for space/missile applications
• Experience with auto-code, specifically HDL autocode generation
• Python scripting experience
• Experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing
• Hardware Experience for and missiles as well as hardware development
• Experience with Field-Programmable Point Gate Arrays (FPGAs)
• Experience with 3-phase motor controls
• Experience with the CoreSim framework
• Demonstrated communication skills with the ability to articulate complex technical issues to peers, management, subcontractors and customers.
• Possess a DOD Secret clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
- Lockheed Martin Jobs