Marriott Assistant Event Operations Manager in The Woodlands, Texas
Job Number 23014886
Job Category Event Management
Location The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, 1601 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands, Texas, United States
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
Communicates service needs to chefs and stewards throughout functions. Totals charges for group functions, and prepares and presents checks to group contacts for payment. Verifies banquet rooms, restaurants, and coffee breaks are ready for service. Verifies proper centerpieces are displayed on every table. Inspects the cleanliness and presentation of all china, glass, and silver prior to use. Checks in with guests to verify satisfaction. Sets tables according to type of event and service standards. Communicates additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen. Maintains cleanliness of work areas throughout the day. Supports compliance with brand standards and legal obligations. Supports and leads shift teams to provide consistent, high quality service. Coordinates and leads daily stand-up meetings, pre-shift meetings and pre and post-meal briefings. Communicates performance expectations and trains staff in processes. Assists more senior managers in completion of financial and administrative duties. Strives to continually improve guest/event and employee satisfaction and maximize financial performance.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED or 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in food and beverage, culinary, guest services, front desk, housekeeping, or related professional area.
• If no standard educational background, at least 3 years of experience in two of the following areas of hospitality to include food and beverage, culinary, guest services, front desk, housekeeping, or related professional area.
• Experience running a shift, scheduling, Performance Manage PAF's, Problem Solving, Running Day-to-Day Operation, Hospitality Skills.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Management of Event Operations associated with Banquets, Event Services
• Verifies meeting and event rooms/space are set according to event documentation (Banquet Event Orders, resumes, etc.) and customer requirements.
• Leads shifts and actively participates in the servicing of events.
• Adheres to and reinforces all standards, policies, and procedures (Core Deliverables, SOPs, LSOPs, etc.).
• Assists in maintaining the inventory of function room amenities (e.g., pads, pens, candy, water service) and other controllable supplies.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings (e.g., Daily Stand Up, BEO, Staff, Forecast, Department and Intradepartmental).
• Attends pre-event/pre-convention meetings as needed to understand group needs.
• Communicates critical information to the Banquet, Event Services and Event Technology teams.
• Conducts room function inspections prior to each event to ensure the room is set according to specifications.
• Delegates tasks to ensure room sets are "on time" and meet Event Management Standards.
• Verifies employee awareness of the event phase portion of the Event Satisfaction Survey and Guest Satisfaction Scores.
• Maintains attendance log for Banquet, Event Service and Event Technology employees.
• Manages departmental inventories and assets including par levels and maintenance of equipment.
• Orders supplies for the department (e.g., china, glass, silver, buffet equipment, and other service equipment needs).
• Schedules Banquet and Event Service staff to forecast and service standards, while maximizing profits.
• Utilizes banquet beverage tools to guide banquet beverage supervisor in controlling liquor costs, managing the banquet beverage perpetual inventory and requisitioning liquor.
• Practices and executes brand specific meeting services program per Brand Standard (Redcoat Program, PlumPerfect Program, etc.)
• Assists with the Event Technology/Audio Visual team when necessary in order to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Works with Event Planning team to verify flawless delivery of events.
Leading Teams in Day-to-Day Activities Holding Teams to High Work Standards while Modeling those Standards
• Verifies knowledge and understanding of OSHA regulations are up to date.
• Creates and nurtures a hotel environment that emphasizes motivation, empowerment, teamwork, continuous improvement and a passion for providing service.
• Participates in department meetings by communicating a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
• Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Encourages employees to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
• Handles guest problems and complaints, seeking assistance from manager as necessary.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels; effectively responding to and handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from manager as necessary.
• Meets and greets guests.
• Understands the impact Banquet, Event Service and Event Technology operations has on the overall success of an event and manages activities to maximize customer satisfaction.
Assisting in Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, assisting with the completion of annual performance reviews.
• Supports training when appropriate.
• Assists as needed in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members with the appropriate skills.
• Schedules employees to ensure shift coverage and meet business demands and productivity goals.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law. Marriott International considers for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
Marriott Hotels , Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you’re happy, our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you’ll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
- Marriott Jobs